Fresh Tortilla Blender Soup in under 10 minutes
I know, right? Who ever would have thought you could make fresh tortilla blender soup in under ten minutes without even turning your stove top on? I wouldn’t mislead you and will vouch that this is my go-to soup this winter. I like it because it is quick, is easily adapted based on ingredients at hand and it can be topped with so many different and wonderful things like cheese, sour cream, fresh cilantro, tortilla chips, etc. It can also be made purely vegan by using vegetable broth and substituting the cheese and sour cream for vegan options.
Add your fresh roma tomato, carrots, celery, broth, garlic and my secret ingredient: chipotle puree with your spices of choice and set the blender on the soup/hot setting. While it is cooking get the peppers, black beans and corn ready to go. You can also add chicken or turkey but you won’t miss the meat as this is a very filling soup as is. The work effort is so minimal yet everyone who tries this will think that you slaved over the stove.
This recipe was inspired by a recipe that Vitamix demonstrators often use. In fact, I know personally a couple of people that purchased their Vitamix after seeing this recipe made. Being able to enjoy fresh soup to your own specific tastes is a huge selling feature.
For variations, trying mixing up your spices or adding onions, spinach to the mix. I can’t add those when I’m sharing a batch with my husband but when it is just for me I like adding a bit of fresh spinach in the last step. Mike likes it plain without all the toppings but I really like it piled with avocado, cheese, sour cream and sprinkled with fresh lime juice. Delicious. I’m getting hungry for some more blender tortilla soup just thinking about it. Would it be wrong to have it for both lunch and dinner on the same day?
- 1 roma tomato
- 6-8 baby carrots
- one stalk of celery
- 2 cups vegetable or chicken broth
- 1 tsp chipotle puree optional
- 1 garlic clove
- 1 tsp of cajun spice or taco seasoning
- 1/3 red bell pepper
- 1/3 green bell pepper
- 1/2 cup black beans rinsed
- 1/2 cup canned corn
- shredded cheese
- sour cream
- tortilla chips
- Salt and Pepper to taste
- Place first 7 ingredients in blender and let it run the hot/soup cycle.
- After approximately 6 minutes, steam should be leaving the vented top.
- Cut peppers into strips.
- Add 1/2 the cut peppers to the blender and blend on medium for 30 seconds.
- Add remaining peppers, black beans and corn and pulse 5-10 times until you have reached your desired consistency.
- This will leave you with a soup that has some thickness and texture.
- Pour into two bowls and sprinkle each with juice from 1/4 lime. Add your favourite toppings and enjoy.
You can also add tortilla chips to the blender in the last step and pulse. I prefer to dip them in the soup or crumble on top as I'm not a big fan of soggy chips.
For a vegan option, use vegetable broth and substitute cheese and sour cream for vegan toppings.
Adapted from Vitamix Demonstration Soup